1. Cut sprigs of evergreen to sizes that will fit inside each size of embroidery hoop set and press (between two sheets of paper) under a heavy stack of books and leave for a few days to flatten.
2. Lightly spray each sprig with adhesive and sandwich it between two pieces of waxed paper larger than each hoop set.
3. With a warm iron, press the waxed paper until the front and back pieces stick together and let sit for a few minutes to cool.
4. Centre your waxed-paper-sandwiched sprig on the smaller hoop of each set and slide the larger hoop over the waxed paper to stretch it tightly in the frame.
5. Cut off excess waxed paper with scissors at the back and tie a length of ribbon around the clasps on each hoop frame to hang inside your winter windows.
Originally published in ParentsCanada magazine, November 2014.