"May 24" Long weekend is this weekend, May 17-20. Monday is Victoria Day and is usually a kick off to spring and even summer fun. Now that the nice warm weather is back it's time to unplug the kids and take them outside or to do fun family activities together.
Areas north of Toronto can offer the best of all worlds and a connection to natural beauty, fresh air and an abundance of wildlife to check out! Studies continue to prove the benefits for kids who connect with nature.
Families can find great getaway packages at fabulous resorts, be adventurous and go camping or even baby-step it with day trip activities and events.
The events listed below are within 1-3 hours of Toronto. If you're in the area opening your cottage, these events can provide a fun break for the family or are good for one parents to take the kids to while the other does some work. :-) Note: paper-rock-scissors works best to determine who will get which task!
Here are the TOP 5 events or activities for Victoria Day weekend family fun 'up north'
(for a full list of events and activities, visit our blog)
1. Spend the weekend or a day in Midland and consider the following activities -
* Cruise aboard the Miss Midland and see beautiful Georgian Bay and the 30,000 islands!
* Visit the Wye Marsh for a reptile or birds of prey show. If your kids are older they may also like the guided canoe or kayak excursions.
* Visit the Huronia Museum
* Check out the shops and docks in Downtown Midland
2. Head to Horseshoe Resort for the opening of the Adventure Park!
* Horseshoe Skyline Zip Line
* Climbing Wall
* Downhill Mountain Bikiing
* Ridge Top Mini-Golf
* Euro Bungy
* Red Horse Maze
3. Blue Mountain Village May Long Weekend Fireworks
* Explore Blue Mountain Resort and all the fun kids activities!
4. Explore Scenic Caves
* check out the view from the suspension bridge
* play some mini-golf!
5. Bike in Haliburton at Sir Sam's Ski and Bike
* Lots of fun and activities as part of opening bike season
This weekend also marks the beginning of many Ontario Farmer's Markets. Markets are the best places to get locally grown food, hand made sweet and savoury treats and hand crafted works of art. Tons of fun for the whole family. Support Ontario farmers and artisans!
For more events, visit our full blog of Victoria Day weekend events and activities for kids and family fun!