Longer days and more sunshine mean more kids and family fun north of Toronto. The conditions are ideal for outdoor recreation and activities to give your kids that traditional winter experience and then some!
Hello Mr. Sun!
It's never too late to book a last minute weekend family getaway. We've recently toured of the best resorts north of Toronto and know first hand how much work they have put into offering the best of everything in the winter getaway packages.
This weekend's 'PLAY LIST'...
KIDS AND FAMILY EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES FOR THE WEEKEND AHEAD BY AREA:
These events are within 1-3 hours north of Toronto and are reasonable when considering a day trip, or stay at any family friendly accommodation and extend the fun. These events would also be within proximity or close to many of Ontario's 'cottage country'.
The 2014 Season of Winter Carnival Celebrations has begun! If you're Canadian or visiting Canada, come see how much there is to celebrate about winter with activities like dog sledding, tobaggoning, skating, snow mobiling and so many many classic and new activities that make winter fun.
This weekend you can find a winter carnival in:
SNOW VALLEY RESORT
Celebrate winter with your family at Snow Valley. Choose from a great variety of outdoor recreation activities. There is truly something for every member of the family. Fun for all ages activities include skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, tubing and they also offer lessons, as well as racing and school programs.
*It's FEBRUARY FUNFEST AT SKI AND PLAY* Sunday evenings between 4pm and 6pm througout February. For ages 3-5, introduction to skiing and indoor play. Registration begins at 3:30.
Rediscover winter fun in Ontario this season at Horseshoe Resort. With 26 runs, a terrain park and 35 km of groomed Nordic ski trails, Horseshoe has your ski and snowboard needs covered! A variety of activities await you this Winter season at Horseshoe Resort's Adventure Park such as snow tubing and fat biking!
HARDWOOD SKI AND BIKE
Hardwood is a full service nordic ski centre providing trails for all levels of skiers or snowshoers. They are open seven days a week and offer rentals, retail nordic ski, lessons, cafe and children's programs.
* SATURDAY * DEMO DAY * Looking to buy? Or just want to try? Come out to Hardwood Ski and Bike to test the latest from Fischer, ONE WAY, Rossignol and Salomon equipment before you buy. You can take the skis out for approximately 30 minutes which lets everyone have a chance to try what’s new. All you need is a trail pass! See you Saturday! 10am - 3pm.
* SATURDAY * Moonlight Snowshoe and Fondue *After the fun hike you will be treated with a fondue and if you want you can warm your toes by the bonfire. Kids welcome!
Browse BARRIE HOTELS
~THE BLUE MOUNTAINS | COLLINGWOOD~
SCENIC CAVES NORDIC CENTRE
Winter activities include groomed cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and traversing 420 feet over Southern Ontario’s longest suspension bridge. See natural Ontario forrest as a beautiful winter wonderland!
* SATURDAY * TUBBS ROMP TO STOMP * Scenic Caves Nordic Centre is proud to host Romp to Stomp Out Breast Cancer Snowshoe Fundraiser. Celebrating the 7th year helping to raise funds to stomp out breast cancer one snowshoe at a time. The Romp is great for participants of all snowshoe levels and ages and we strive to make sure that all Romp locations offer a lovely, snow-filled course, fun atmosphere, and FREE demo snowshoes* from Tubbs Snowshoes.
* SATURDAY * Guided Night Snowshoe Hikes at Scenic Caves Nature Adventures * (6pm-8pm).Strap on your snowshoes for a night-time hike, where stars and shadows create a dramatic setting for adventure. Our professional guides lead you on a 1 ½ to 2 hour romp through an enchanting winter wonderland. Beautiful trails wind through a mature forest of 100 foot tall trees and spectacular lookouts from the top of the Niagara Escarpment. No experience is required and the pace is moderate. Night hikes are recommended for ages 8-10 and older.
SKIING & ATTRACTION PARK BLUE MOUNTAIN RESORT
Click here for the latest snow conditions. Be a part of our biggest winter ever with new terrain in the Orchard – six new trails to be exact – and a brand new high-speed chairlift. The increased terrain brings the total skiable acres to 364 with a grand total of 42 trails – the most at any resort in Ontario.Check out the Kids at Blue Programs including the Burton Riglet Park! Friday is the official Grand Opening of The Orchard!
BLUE MOUNTAIN VILLAGE - ACTIVITY CENTRAL
Activity Central is your source for the region’s and the resort’s best year-round activities! Pure adrenaline or simple serenity, we have activities to suit every interest and budget! Currently selling Scandinave Spa packages, Wine tasting, Caving tours and gearing up for winter with Snowmobile tours, snowshoeing and the list goes on.
* SATURDAY * VOLCOM STONE PEANUT BUTTER RAIL JAM * Volcom Stone’s Peanut Butter and Rail Jam is Ontario’s largest rail jam and a staple event on the Ontario snowboard scene. Back at Blue Mountain for its 11th year, you can expect to see over 150 riders from across the province throw some smooth peanut-buttery tricks on a signature PBRJ set up. Full day event, located at Badlands Terrain Park.
Stay in COLLINGWOOD HOTELS
SIR SAM'S SKI & BIKE
Sir Sam’s hosts twelve main runs and a view from the top that is only matched by the view of the slopes from the chalets panoramic windows and outdoor sun deck. Come and enjoy a great outdoor experience in an un-crowded and family friendly atmosphere.Sir Sam's Super Savings Sunday : Ski/Board every Sunday afternoon from 1:30-4:30 for only $25.00! (Rentals only $15.00). Excellent opportunity to try out the sport . Breakfast served from 9:00-2:00.
~MIDLAND | PENETANGUISHENE~
DOWNTOWN SHOPS AND DOCKS
Check out the shops and docks in beautiful Midland! Walk about and strolling fun for kids and check out one of the largest outdoor mural collections in North America.
MIDLAND CULTURAL CENTRE
Drop in to see what's going on or visit our website for the latest programs. Cafe Roxy is open for hot chocolate, coffee and refreshments, light meals and snacks, wine and beer. Open Mic at the Cafe on Saturday.
Bookmark our Ski and Snowboard page for all the importants links to your favorite ski destinations.
Are you mobile?
Install the 400eleven.com and 411ontariokids.com APP
This APP conveniently lists events, last minute getaway links, Thing To Do and other fun travel north of Toronto related information. When on the move, this is an easy way to see what's going on! Great for cottagers, day trippers and getaway travellers and even locals! The APP is available from iTunes, GooglePlay and Amazon, you can find links here ~