This project works with melted wax or soap. Supervise children closely.
- soap mold
- microwaveable soap slab (available at craft stores)
- food colouring
- fragrance oil
- plastic letters
- rubber mallet
1. Melt soap bars in a microwave-safe measuring cup as per package instructions.
2. Add fragrance oil as per instructions. Then add one
drop of food colouring and swirl around. Do not stir! (The
food-colouring will be so diluted by the soap that it will not stain
3. Pour into soap molds. The colouring will make random swirls as it is poured.
4. Allow the soap to harden for about 40 minutes. Do not refrigerate.
5. Release the soap from the mold and place face up on a
hard surface. Position the plastic letter face down in the centre of the
soap. Using a rubber mallet give the letter one hefty whack to impress
the letter into the top of the bar. Carefully remove the letter stamp.
For gift giving, place the personalized bar on a soap dish before
Originally published in ParentsCanada magazine, November 2013.