2 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup ice water
Low fat Cheddar cheese cubes
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together.
3. Cut the shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Sprinkle dough with ice water. Knead briefly and rest, covered for 10 minutes.
5. Roll dough on lightly floured board to circles about 7.5 cm (3 inches) across.
6. Place a cube of cheese on one side of the circle. Moisten the edges of the circle with a bit of water and fold the dough over, pressing the edges together to seal in the filling.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until brown.