Roasting vegetables first caramelizes them, releasing some of their juices and intensifying their flavours. Choose veggies depending on your taste and the time of year – mushrooms, sweet potatoes, fennel and other vegetables can be roasted and added the same way.
1-2 red peppers, seeded and chopped
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes (about 2 cups)
1 small purple onion, peeled and chopped (optional)
1 zucchini, halved or quartered lengthwise and chopped
1 small eggplant, chopped
1 head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
canola or olive oil, for cooking
salt and pepper
2 cups (500 ml) part-skim ricotta
1/2 cup (125 ml) freshly grated Parmesan, divided
1 cup (250 ml) spinach leaves (packed), or 1/2 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves
1 large can (650 ml) tomato sauce (any pasta sauce works well)
9 no-boil lasagna sheets
2 cups (500 ml) grated part-skim mozzarella
1. Preheat the oven to 450˚F.
2. Spread the chopped peppers, cherry tomatoes, onion, zucchini, eggplant and garlic cloves on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat vegetables, then spread in a single layer. Roast for 40–45 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and starting to turn golden. Reduce to 375˚F.
3. Meanwhile, combine ricotta cheese,1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, spinach and egg in a food processor and pulse until blended. When vegetables are done, remove from the oven and transfer to a bowl, scraping out any juices from the bottom of the pan. Add tomato sauce and stir.
4. Spread a spoonful of sauce into the bottom of a 7-1/2”x11” baking dish. Lay in 3 lasagna noodles, then add one third of the vegetable mixture, spreading evenly. Spread half the ricotta mixture over top, then add another 3 noodles. Top with another third of the vegetable mixture, the rest of the ricotta mixture, and another 3 noodles. Spread the remaining vegetable mixture over the top, then cover with grated mozzarella cheese and the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
5. Spray a sheet of aluminum foil with non-stick spray and place sprayed-side down on top of the lasagna, sealing the edges. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil (replace any cheese that sticks to the foil) and bake for another 15 minutes, or until bubbly and golden. Let sit for 20 minutes before cutting. Serves 8.
341 calories, 11.2 g fat, (6.3 g saturated fat, 3.8 g monounsaturated fat, 1.1 g polyunsaturated fat), 40 g carbohydrate, 62 mg cholesterol, 21.5 g protein, 6.6 g fibre.