Kathy Buckworth counters the earnest teen phone contracts floating around the Internet with her version for managing appropriate smartphone usage:
The Smartphone Commandments
Thou Shalt Not:
- Furiously text friends seconds after disagreeing with your parents. We know you’re trashing us. With a phone we paid for. Come on.
- Ignore calls/texts/emails from Mom or Dad, while simultaneously posting on Instagram. It’s embarrassing to us that you think we don’t know.
- Laugh at our choice of phone. We can swap it for yours anytime, my friend.
- Force us to watch YouTube videos that are SO AWESOME. We don’t have time for that.
- Download YouTube videos while we’re on vacation in Mexico. Are you paying for that data?
- Be naïve enough to think we assume your lap is more interesting than dinner conversation. Stop. Texting.
- Complain about your phone. Don’t make me say, “When I was your age we didn’t even have Palm Pilots!”
Kathy Buckworth is the author of I Am So The Boss Of You: An 8 Step Guide To Giving Your Family The Business, available at bookstores and as an ebook everywhere.
Originally published in ParentsCanada magazine, July/August 2015.