Nothing beats the excitement of counting down the days, or minutes, to the big celebration.
- 5 drinking straws
- 9 wooden art sticks
- 9 glittery yellow pompoms
- white glue
- a small rectangular plate or board
1. Cut four drinking straws in half. Cut the fifth straw to be slightly longer than the others.
2. Roll plasticine into small balls and equally space nine balls along the length of your plate or board.
3. Stick one straw piece into each ball pushing the tallest straw (shamash) into the centre ball with four short straws on either side of the tall one.
4. Cut art sticks to be slightly shorter than each straw and glue a pompom onto one end of each stick. Let dry.
5. Each night of Hanukkah, “light” a “candle” by dropping an art stick into a straw to celebrate the eight days of Hanukkah.
Originally published in ParentsCanada magazine, December 2014.