They’re all the rage in coffee shops and on diner menus, but granola layered with yogurt and fruit is simple to make at home and allows your kids to customize their breakfast according to their tastes.
4 cups (1 L) old-fashioned (large flake) oats
3/4 cup (185 ml) chopped nuts: sliced or slivered almonds, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts or a combination
1/2 cup (125 ml) shredded coconut (optional)
2 tsp (10 ml) cinnamon
1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
1/4 cup (60 ml) canola oil
1/2 cup (125 ml) honey or maple syrup
1/2 cup (125 ml) packed brown sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla or coconut extract
1/2 cup (125 ml) green pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup (125 ml) raisins, dried cranberries, slivered apricots or other dried fruit
plain or vanilla yogurt, for serving
fresh or frozen berries, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat baking mat, or spray it with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the oats, nuts, coconut, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, stir together the oil, brown sugar, honey or maple syrup and vanilla. Pour over the oat mixture and stir until well coated.
3. Spread the mixture onto the baking sheet, making clumps if you like by squeezing some of it together with your hands. Bake for 20–30 minutes, stirring once or twice, until golden.
4. Remove from the oven and stir in the pumpkin seeds and dried fruit. Cool completely, and store in an airtight container. Makes about 6 cups (1.5 L).
5. To make parfaits, layer plain or vanilla yogurt, fresh or frozen berries and granola in a clear glass or dish, or a plastic to-go container. (Pack the granola separately and add it right before serving to keep it crunchy.)
PER 1/4 CUP GRANOLA (made with almonds, pecans and raisins):
213 calories, 8.8 g fat (1.1 g saturated fat, 4.6 g monounsaturated fat, 3 g polyunsaturated fat), 6.8 g protein, 27 g carbohydrates, 0 mg cholesterol, 3.7 g fibre. PER PARFAIT (made with 1 cup blueberries,
1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt and 1/4 cup granola):
374 calories, 11 g fat (2.4 g saturated fat, 5.2 g monounsaturated fat, 3.3 g polyunsaturated fat), 14.3 g protein, 57 g carbohydrates, 7 mg cholesterol, 7.3 g fibre.