Kids love making something that they’re used to pulling out of a package. Sugar cookie dough makes for a tasty pastry and you’re in charge of filling c/o your fave jam.
Sugar Cookie dough
1/4 cup (60 mL) butter, softened
2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
3/4 cup (185 mL) sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
1 3/4 cups (440 mL) all-purpose flour
1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1/2 cup (125 mL) strawberry, raspberry or cherry jam, preserves or pie filling
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp milk (more if needed to thin out icing)
Food colouring (optional)
1. In a large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugar with an electric mixer until well blended. Add the egg and vanilla and beat for another minute, until the mixture is smooth and light.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the sugar mixture and stir by hand just until you have a soft dough. Shape the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or until well chilled.
3. When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F.
4. Divide dough in half and roll each piece out about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 2×3-inch rectangles with a knife.
5. Transfer half of the rectangles to a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment or sprayed with nonstick spray, spacing them about an inch apart.
6. Top each with a spoonful of jam or preserves, and gently place a second rectangle on top. Press down around the edges to seal using the tines of a fork. Poke each tart once or twice on top to allow steam to escape.
7. While baking, mix together icing ingredients.
8. Bake for 20 minutes, or until pale golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly and spread on icing.
Makes about 10 pop tarts.