2 min Read

What childcare expenses can be claimed on my taxes?

a woman holding a baby

Wondering what childcare expenses can be claimed on your taxes? In Canada, there are several childcare expenses that may be eligible for tax deductions or credits. These expenses can help reduce your taxable income or provide tax relief. Here are some common childcare expenses that can be claimed on your taxes in Canada:

Childcare expenses: You can claim expenses paid to a caregiver or daycare facility for the care of your child under the age of 16 (or under the age of 18 if the child has a disability). This includes daycare centres, nursery schools and day camps.

Summer camps and day programs: If the primary purpose of the program is to provide childcare while parents are working, the expenses may be eligible for the childcare expense deduction.

Boarding schools and overnight camps: If the child is attending a boarding school or overnight camp for the primary purpose of childcare while you (or your spouse or common-law partner) are working, the expenses may be eligible.

Educational institutions: If your child attends an educational institution, such as a preschool or kindergarten, and you pay for extended daycare services (before or after regular school hours), those expenses may be eligible.

Children with Disabilities: Additional expenses related to caring for a child with a disability, such as attendant care expenses, tutoring services and specialized equipment, may be eligible for the disability tax credit.

It’s important to keep records of your childcare expenses, including receipts and invoices, as you will need to provide documentation when claiming these expenses on your tax return. Additionally, the eligibility criteria and allowable deductions or credits may vary depending on your specific circumstances and the province or territory in which you reside. Consult with a tax professional or refer to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website for the most up-to-date information and guidance regarding childcare expenses and tax deductions or credits.

Related Articles