- 1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten free flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups (250 grams) sugar
- 1 large (or 2 small) lemons
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 1/2 tablespoons (77 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup marmalade (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon water (optional)
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees with a rack in center.
Butter a 8 1/2″loaf pan, or line with parchment paper in one direction. Place on a baking sheet.
Whisk the flour, baking powder, cardamon, ginger and salt together.
Melt the butter and set aside.
Put the sugar in a large bowl, and grate the zest of the lemon(s) over the sugar. Using your fingers, rub the sugar and zest together until the mixture is moist and aromatic. Cut the lemon(s) and squeeze to produce 3 tablespoons juice, set aside.
Add the eggs, one at a time to the sugar/zest whisking well after each, whisk in the juice then the heavy cream.
Now add the dry ingredients in two additions, mixing well.
Retrieve the melted butter, stir in the vanilla and then gradually blend the butter into the batter. It should be thick and have a beautiful sheen.
Pour into loaf pan and smooth over the top.
Pop into preheated oven and bake 55-60 mins, or until a tester inserted deep into the center comes out clean. If the top of the loaf is browning too quickly tent it loosely with foil.
Remove from oven and let rest 5 mins then run a blunt knife around the edges.
Remove from pan and apply glaze now or let rest until room temperature.
For the glaze – Bring the marmalade and water to a boil while stirring. Brush over the top of the warm cake and allow to set for 2 hours.
Find more of Pamela’s gluten free recipes at PamelasGlutenFreeRecipes.com.