1/4 cup olive or canola oil
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
4 large portobello mushrooms
4 slices cheddar, Gouda, provolone or other cheese (optional)
Buns and condiments of your choice
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil and garlic. Let stand for 10 minutes or so to allow the garlic to infuse the oil.
2. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and scrape the gills out with a spoon – they tend to become bitter.
3. Brush the mushrooms on both sides with the garlicky oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat your grill to medium-high and cook the mushrooms stem-side-down for 3-4 minutes, then flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until tender and char-marked.
5. Optional: flip the mushrooms over again and add grated or sliced meltable cheese to the grill side during the last few minutes of cooking time; close the lid of the barbecue to allow the cheese to melt.
6. Serve on a bun with your choice of condiments.
Originally published in 2011.