Roasting strawberries first coaxes out their juices, intensifying the flavour, because science. Whisking together a simple base of sweetened berries and cream keeps this recipe easy-peasy. Max chill, if you will.
- 1 lb strawberries (about 3 cups), hulled and halved if large
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar (divided)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) heavy (whipping) cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) half and half cream
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries with 1/4 cup of the sugar and lemon juice, and then spread out on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice, until darkened and juicy. Set aside to cool completely.
- In the same bowl, whisk together the creams and remaining sugar. Scrape the roasted berries, along with any juices that have accumulated on the bottom of the pan, into the cream and stir to combine. If you want it more uniform, pulse the mixture in a blender or food processor until as smooth or chunky as you like.
- Freeze the mixture in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions, and transfer to a container to store in the freezer. Makes about 1 L.
Per 1/2 Cup: 208 calories, 13.8 g fat (9 g saturated fat, 4.2 g monounsaturated fat, 0.6 g polyunsaturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 19 g carbohydrate, 1.9 g protein, 1.1 g fibre.
Originally published in ParentsCanada magazine, Summer 2017.