1.5 cups (140 g) rolled oats, gluten-free if necessary
1.5 cups (30 g) puffed brown rice cereal, unsweetened
1 cup (150 g) BC blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup (70 g) almonds, chopped
1/3 cup (50 g) sunflower seeds
1/3 cup (60 g) dried BC blueberries
3 tbsp (25 g) flax seeds, ground
2 tbsp (22 g) chia seeds (optional)
3/4 cup (180 ml) brown rice syrup
3/4 cup (180 ml) nut butter (like peanut or almond) or nut-free butter
1 tbsp (15 ml) orange zest (optional)
3 tbsp (45 ml) orange juice
1 tbsp (15 ml) butter or coconut oil
1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
1/4 tsp (pinch) Salt
1. Preheat oven to 325°F/163°C. Grease a 9 x 9″ baking dish and line with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix the oats, puffed rice, fresh blueberries, almonds, sunflower seeds, dried blueberries, flax and chia seeds.
3. In a non-stick pan, heat the rice syrup, nut butter, orange zest, orange juice, coconut oil, cinnamon and salt, whisk until well combined and heated through.
4. Pour the warmed nut butter mixture into the granola and combine to coat all the ingredients. Transfer to the baking dish and press down firmly with the back of a spatula.
5. Bake in the middle rack of the pre-heated oven for 55 – 60 minutes. Allow to rest at room temperature until cooled. Remove block of granola from pan, peel away parchment paper and cut into bars.
Originally published in August 2014.